VIC Advice Needed: How to Revoke an IVO with VIC Police as Applicant After Counselling

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
you need to speak to the domestic violence liaison officer.
Not in Victoria.

If anything start with the informant (copper who made the application). Prosecution won't look at it until the application to vary/revoke is made. They may override the informant.

And lawyers do add value. We know how the system works and what to say to increase your chances. But certainly try the police first, yours might be friendly and cooperative.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I googled Domestic Violence Liaison Officer VIC and couldn’t find much information. Could you please advise if this officer is at police station or at magistrates court?
All 24 Hour stations should have a family violence liaison officer (FVLO) ....

Atticus

6 February 2019
Not in Victoria.
Respectfully disagree ...

They were certainly present in all 24 Hour stations as of 2015. Highly doubt they have dispensed with them in 2024...

Vic police own website seems to confirm .... See page 4 https://www.police.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-06/Family-violence_What-Police-Do_0.pdf

I agree prosecution won't move without an application. Any police officer can make that application, including the FVLO... Doubt the informant will offer much help but you never know.

Melbourneman

19 July 2024
Not in Victoria.

If anything start with the informant (copper who made the application). Prosecution won't look at it until the application to vary/revoke is made. They may override the informant.

And lawyers do add value. We know how the system works and what to say to increase your chances. But certainly try the police first, yours might be friendly and cooperative.
Perhaps you’re right! Everytime I have called the police station asking to speak to or book an appointment with a DLVO, the person on the other end has advised to lodge the application to revoke with the court and not much they can do :(

Atticus

6 February 2019
Everytime I have called the police station asking to speak to or book an appointment with a DLVO, the person on the other end has advised to lodge the application to revoke with the court and not much they can do
Doesn't mean the liaison officers aren't present at 24 Hour stations, they are. Just means that the copper taking your call isn't helpful..

Next best thing is to lodge your application (you would have to anyway before prosecution can consider it) and then inquire at the court about talking to a family violence court liaison officer to assist in being a go between.