VIC Subpoena and detail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TylerFrost

8 September 2023
I want to write a Subpoena for a matter where I am being accused of something.

Proceedings have started.
I wish to get copies of the emergency calls to police and some other documents.

In Victoria do I need to state any legislation in this subpoena. Also, I understand I have to justify why I want the documents but how much detail do I need to go into?

I just want the court to approve it so I can issue it to the police.

Any help on this would be great thanks.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Civil or criminal matter?

Reactions: TylerFrost

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You don't write a subpoena - you fill in the form.

Ask the court for the form.

If you still need assistance we can help.

TylerFrost

8 September 2023

Yes I agree. The form needs to be filled out but when requesting that information in the form is there any specific way I have to word it or any legislation I need to refer to?
I know I need to keep it relevant.

TylerFrost

8 September 2023

I have some questions about how to word my request for information in that form.

I know I have to be specific.
I know it has to stay relevant.
And I have to give reasons for wanting the information.

Is the above correct? Can you add anything else that I need to make sure I do?

In a civil proceeding is that information delivered to the court or does it get delivered to me?

Is there costs associated with a subpoena when you are filling out the court subpoena form?

Thanks

TylerFrost

8 September 2023
I have some questions about how to word my request for information in that form.

I know I have to be specific.
I know it has to stay relevant.
And I have to give reasons for wanting the information.

Is the above correct? Can you add anything else that I need to make sure I do?

In a civil proceeding is that information delivered to the court or does it get delivered to me?

Is there costs associated with a subpoena when you are filling out the court subpoena form?

Thanks
Also I can't find whether there is a filing fee or something if I am going to get a subpoena form approved at the court. Is there a filing fee?

I really need some help with this if you wouldn't mind. Just trying to clarify some issues in my questions. Thanks very much for looking at this.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes - I know I have to be specific.
Yes- I know it has to stay relevant.
Partly, you just need to show why the information is relevant - And I have to give reasons for wanting the information.

Yes, no - Is the above correct? Can you add anything else that I need to make sure I do?

Court, you have to ask for its release - In a civil proceeding is that information delivered to the court or does it get delivered to me?

Yes, not sure might be <$50. - Is there costs associated with a subpoena when you are filling out the court subpoena form?

TylerFrost

8 September 2023
Yes - I know I have to be specific.
Yes- I know it has to stay relevant.
Partly, you just need to show why the information is relevant - And I have to give reasons for wanting the information.

Yes, no - Is the above correct? Can you add anything else that I need to make sure I do?

Court, you have to ask for its release - In a civil proceeding is that information delivered to the court or does it get delivered to me?

Yes, not sure might be <$50. - Is there costs associated with a subpoena when you are filling out the court subpoena form?
Very much appreciated and thanks for the information . Can I also ask, if I have to ask the court to release that information I have subpoenaed then do I have to pay the court for that information or can it just be released to me? Thanks again.