VIC Self Defence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

adav6638

15 December 2023
What are ALL the charges at the start?

Private solicitors may be looking at the costs involved just not whether to plead guilty or not.

Legal aid just want to get the matter finalised and do not really care about the client iny experience.

Always remember a solicitors paramount duty is to the court, and then the client second.

Be alert not to make any admissions about your case on the internet . It could be used against you.
I agree and also it seems like legal aid do not give the slightest care. All they say is, 'you should just plead guilty and receive the 25% discount' which is so unhelpful. Isn't it the lawyers job to fight/defend the client?

adav6638

15 December 2023
My solicitor went with a guilty plead. No conviction and a $1500 fine was issued plus a stern message from the judge.

None of my story was conveyed much really. I find it a very strange system as the judge heard nothing but 95% the lies by the statement read to him.

But anyway pleased with the judge’s responses. No conviction thrilled me and i aim to keep it that way and adhere to his message.

Thanks heaps for your support also in here and explanations in this thread!!

At the end of the day I thought to myself at least i stand true with integrity and my neighbour has to live with himself bring a liar, manipulator and narcissistic tendencies.

While all the people I talked to in my day to day and 40000 online in the kelpies group and life said good on me protecting the dog under attack in the situation.

No wander the judge was angry he never knew the truth!!
Good result. It does seem like self defence, who would ever purposely try and hurt a poor creature (assuming its the jack Russell in your photo). Lessons learnt for everyone and not to be repeated again.