QLD QCAT

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JuneD

26 July 2024
I was a respondent at a QCAT hearing about a rental bond claim. The applicant filed three invoices to claim half my bond. The invoices were fake and had invalid ABNs as well as other issues non compliant with ATO. The adjudicator allowed them and awarded her the money she claimed. Why would he do that if they were illegal? Do I have grounds to appeal the decision?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes you can appeal a QCAT decision to the QCAT Appeal Tribunal. Must be done within 28 days. Error of fact.

Victa

25 October 2016
Was the applicant a licensed real estate agency or a private landlord?

JuneD

26 July 2024
Would it make such a difference? It may still be helpful. Below is the standard of the invoices that were allowed.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 4

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
If in Vic that invoice would not be accepted by VCAT as it does not show address of service.

If the ABN is also wrong, then you need to have evidence showing it is wrong.

JuneD

26 July 2024
Thank you for helping me with this. There are three of these invoices for three different claims. The claims are trumped up too. The same ABN is on all three. All invalid on the ATO lookup website. The name of the issuer, Alam Management is the onsite management where she lives and has a valid ABN nothing like the one on the invoices. I reckon she faked them them using a random number as an ABN.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Get your appeal in before you run out of time.

I do not know how much time you have in QLD but find out and get your appeal submitted.

JuneD

26 July 2024
Thanks, I intend to do that. I have about a week left and am working on it now.