VIC Handing myself in after 4 years

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lola0693

11 June 2024
So back in early 2020 I had a nervous breakdown and moved from WA to Melbourne, I had no accommodation there and spent part of my time homeless and some nights in backpacker hostels. I was struggling with alcoholism at the time and was mentally not well. Anyway I got caught stealing alcohol from bws and ended up slapping the security guard who grabbed me. I was arrested and charged with I think common assault and theft I got cisp bail and was told I'd be assisted to find housing but all I got was 3 nights in a hotel, on my last night in the hotel my brother called from WA and offered me a room at his house. I was really struggling with the thought of being on the streets and so I flew to Perth the next day, therefore breaching my bail. Anyway my current partner has been offered a job in Victoria and I'm going with him, obviously intend to hand myself in and deal with the consequences I make no excuses for the assault. So my question is, is it possible to get bail after being technically on the run for four years if I hand myself in and have a Victorian address? I have also been sober off alcohol for over a year but I also accept if I don't get bail but would I be able to make an application for bail from custody if I'm taken in? Just trying to get my ducks in a row. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reactions: Victa

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
If you arrange for an appointment to hand yourself in I see no reason why you wouldn't be bailed. Consider a surety although this may not be necessary.

Reactions: Lola0693

adav6638

15 December 2023
You could hand yourself in. It doesn't seem like the crime was even that severe (I.e. one bottle of alcohol seems less than the threshold of around $300) for minor perjury, when over 300 would be more severe. You can easily argue or tell a duty (legal aid) lawyer the assault was self-defence. I'm just stating these off the top of my head and a currently studying criminal law so not sure.
The worst thing that would happen is you being arrested and imprisoned for a day or so whilst your bail is negotiated.
You would not stay there long at all (think of all the youth crime and other criminals being bailed dozens of times and still getting off lightly), you seem to have learned your lesson.

Good luck

Reactions: Lola0693