SA Deed Witness forgery

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LaicieDaze

5 October 2024
Hi guys,
I signed a Deed of Family Arrangement almost 20 years ago, and was told by the executor I could sign it without the witness being present.
I later found out that the executor had forged not one, but two witness signatures (same forged name).
The 'witness' in question has agreed to sign an affidavit stating he didn't sign anything, and I will be as well, as I hadn't even met the person at that time.
My question is, can the deed be voided if there is proof of a witness' signature being forged? Also, if it went to court, would I need a forensic handwriting analysis expert to go over the document? I have letters from the forger to analyse handwriting.
Thanks in advance.

LaicieDaze

5 October 2024
Hi perjury,
Thanks for replying.
The reason I'm asking is, and it's actually a long story, when our father died, my sister and brother were made co-executors of the estate per our father's last wishes.
No sooner did my sister obtain probate, they both had a lawyer draw up a Deed of Family Arrangement.
The other siblings (three of us) were never kept up to date with anything since our Dad died, and this was just another layer of the secrecy.
Unfortunately, back then I knew nothing of legal proceedings or what it entailed going through the processes.
Executor 2 (brother) told us we had to sign the house over to Executor 1, or else they would be in trouble with the bank.
My other sister was a bit suspicious and queried this, but their lawyer or conveyor (she wasn't sure what title he had) insisted it was merely a formality and the house would be signed back over after it was settled.
So the three of us signed it, with no legal advice (apart from him lying to us) or representation . Exec 2 said it was okay to sign the deed without a witness and me being ignorant I did, as did my other brother later on.
We never received any documents or updates, and only found out a few years ago what was actually laid out in the Deed fully (they'd hurried us through the reading of it as if it was urgent to get it done asap). The only way we found out was when my sister saw the Deed on Exec 1's kitchen table and took some quick photos, otherwise we still would probably be oblivious.
She consulted with a lawyer and after he went over the Deed, said that any lawyer with an ounce of integrity and respect wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. He also said that it was fruitless to take it anywhere regarding the forgeries. So we thought our hands were tied.
There have been so many lies and wrong doings with those two, I'm still reeling in shock.
I know we probably wouldn't stand a chance getting a judge to hear our case after so many years regarding the arrangement itself, but since fraud is a criminal act, I thought going down that avenue could be more prudent as there's no statute of limitations.
Sorry for the long post. It's pretty hard to sum it all up in anything but a book lol
I just want the Deed rescinded if that's at all possible. We'll be consulting with lawyers soon but right now I just want to gain as much information and knowledge as I can.
Cheers.

perjury

8 January 2019
Firstly a deed has no legal value without a witness unless there are special circumstances, which in this case there are none.
I don't know what was in the will, but "trouble with the bank" is called creditors.
settling creditor accounts would have been part of the probate where the executor would have had the duty to do that, and beneficiaries have no part in that
again, I don't know the circumstances, but deed of family arrangement is questionable where there are provisions in the will

LaicieDaze

5 October 2024
The house was paid off years ago by Dad, he had a prepaid funeral plan and everything was basically in check.
Also Executors 1 and 2 were beneficiaries along with the rest of us, therefore wasn't Exec 1 obliged to renounce her Executorship after disputing the will? Isn't that a conflict of interest? We were all basically in the same financial boat at the time, and Dad had left the estate and assets to all 5 of his children equally. He'd even discussed it with us before he passed and everybody was in agreeance.

They also "borrowed" $7800 from me to 'get the bank off their backs' and stop the threat of forclosure, which we found was a lie. Unfortunately the loan wasn't put in writing. I know, I've learnt some very costly lessons through all of this. I'm in the process of hopefully trying to obtain my bank records from that time. It should show the transaction between me and their conveyancer. Not sure what good it will do, but it goes towards the character of the very people I thought I could trust.
I later discovered through finally reading the deed that after the beneficiaries had gifted her the house, the money was used by Exec 1 to enter into a contract with herself to purchase the house, the consideration being $7,000, and also to pay the funeral costs (although as I said our father had a prepaid funeral plan), debts, testamentary expenses and the cost of the deed including the contract and transfer costs. The remainder was to go to Exec 2.
The beneficiaries never received any assets such as sentimental things promised to us individually by our parents. We also never received independent legal advice nor was it ever recommended by their lawyer, although it states as such in the deed. If we had, we certainly never wouldve signed such a thing. Plus I couldn't afford a lawyer by then because they'd taken the last of my money. Ironic.

perjury

8 January 2019
No, the executors had a responsibility to distribute the estate to the beneficiaries according to the wishes expressed in the will

if the house was unencumbered, what foreclosure?

1. Do you have a copy of the will?

2. Do you have the copy of the deed?

3. first you need to write up a chronology of events

4. You need to write a brief of the matter, basically what you wrote here, but in one succinct document

I am not giving you legal advice, but you my be looking at criminal charge of fraud