VIC AVO

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LizziB

7 June 2024
I have a 10yr avo against me which finishes in Dec 2029. The 'victim' lied through her teeth and carried on and I'm to stay 200m away from her. Judge asked if I wanted to go back to court and try to get it down to 5yrs. I told judge I couldn't be bothered, just leave it, I never want to see that person again anyway...
Fast forward to Nov 2022. I take my dog for a walk, turn a corner and blow me down, I discover she's moved into the same suburb I now live in!!! And her house is only 130m away (well within the 200m zone)!!! She doesn't know where I am and it's not like I'm going to knock on her door for coffee. She's not exactly my focus in life...
My question is, why aren't the 'victims' more protected?? Why was she allowed to move so close to me, the so called aggressor??

Reactions: Victa

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Ignoring the issue that people are free to live where they like, I suggest you apply for a variation to the IVO. If she sees you and reports you to the police, you have the problem, not her.

LizziB

7 June 2024
Ignoring the issue that people are free to live where they like, I suggest you apply for a variation to the IVO. If she

for

Ignoring the issue that people are free to live where they like, I suggest you apply for a variation to the IVO. If she sees you and reports you to the police, you have the problem, not her.

What sort of variation? Do you mean distance? And if she finds out where i live, would it come into account that I've been in my place nearly 4yrs and she only moved to the area around 18months-2yrs ago? Would i still have the problem as in they could ask me to pack up and move again??

Thankyou

Ignoring the issue that people are free to live whehey like, I suggest you apply for a variation to the IVO. If she sees you and reports you to the police, you have the problem, not her.

yourHi Rod,

Thankyou for

LizziB

7 June 2024
Rod, you also mentioned people can live where they like? I liked where I was when this all started but I had to pack up and move due to the 200m put on me...