VIC Theft question of food from outside a shopping mall

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

adav6638

15 December 2023
I used to work at a Coles in university hill (bundoora DFO shopping centre) and live right nearby. I still attend the adjacent 247 gym so am walking by at all hours of the night. I'm well aware of the protocols they use when throwing out unacceptable fruits and veges so always sneak in the back taking them home (basically dumpster diving) mostly to feed my pets as it is better than letting them throw out the food.

I also pass by the salvos store and charity bins and usually pick up what I can find such as old clothes, utensils, electronics, etc, mostly for my pets too as bedding, etc. Tonight around 2am I walked by the dfo and noticed a box of fruit outside which I took and the box had a fruit delivery company on it and a sticker listing a shop inside (ie. Store 24-36 dfo shopping centre), although I do not know if they left the box out to throw away or the box was for them. It was literally on the gutter outside the centre. A particular house a street away always leaves lemons out with the words 'free' on the box which I always take as they must have lemon trees in their backyard with excess fruit, so I assumed these fruit today were free too.

This box has an invoice (list of fruit without prices) inside listing around 50 pieces of fruit however when i counted, there was literally around 40. I checked the website which says, 'they deliver directly to your reception or office', 'Weekly orders are usually made before business hours and we don't require anyone to accept them', 'chat with us for an access pass for safer deliveries', 'you can select the option to allow your order to be left unattended'.

Who would be liable if these fruit do go missing now? I am not returning them as I've been a victim many times over the past few months when I've literally chained up my belongings outside these stores including my very expensive escooter which was captured on CCTV and police notified and nothing has been done. I hope they get the same police officers involved and see what they do over a box of fruit instead of far more expensive items.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
So .... because other people steal from you, you think it now justifies you stealing from others???

adav6638

15 December 2023
Sadly, yes. I hope I get punished for it if it is wrong and that's the only way I learn. Unless you have had your personal belongings stolen (even my LATE DADS Mazda was stolen from our front yard and possibly hot wired a year ago, he gave me the car before he passed, it was found weeks later abandoned hours away and totalled and my items inside taken too).

I've had pets go missing (including relatively recently a baby Saltwater Crocodile and I'm 99% certain it was a neighbour as I took photos yet the local police station constable refuses to do anything as it isnt recorded on cctv), as well as dogs, a kitten and a peacock which was later returned.
Many other items I've lost when out shopping and they've been stolen from the cashier desks who are meant to be minding them. It has all been captured on CCTV yet nothing done.
What would you do if you were in my situation?

To say I'm mentally affected is an understatement since I'm already in debt and have debt collection agencies harassing me.
Is there help available?
What areas of law or lawyers would help me as a victim?
What about if I admit to wanting or having urges to go out there and do to others what has been done to me?

RiffRaffMama

29 October 2020
There's a chance it was not a delivery to the business, but instead was a return to the fruit company due to poor quality, etc, that had been left out for them to collect when they delivered the fresh order later that morning. I can't confirm that, but it is common practice.