Visitation rights internationally

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
10 October 2024
My ex left me when she was 5 months pregnant and returned to Australia, where she gave birth to our son. I was denied visitation until he was a few years old, and it was only after I got a lawyer involved that I was granted visitation rights. According to our divorce agreement, I’m supposed to be allowed two visits a year with him, but my ex has repeatedly denied these visits, making excuses about why it’s not a good time to come.

I’ve managed to get her to agree to one visit a year, which is something, but I feel like I’m missing out on watching my child grow up. She also refuses my FaceTime calls and only allows me to speak to my son once a month.

What are my options? What are the repercussions for a custodial parent violating a divorce agreement? Are there any? Do I need to be patient and wait until my child is old enough to make their own decisions? I’m looking for advice as I’d like to take action but I’m not sure where to turn or what rights I have.