WA Timeline to get a quote

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Col119

29 July 2024
Hi I was involved in a traffic incident on the 1st of April last year, was stationary traffic lights to turn right with 4 cars in front of me. The lights went green, and we all began to move forward. Two cars went through and just as the lady in front was about 2 car lengths from the white line the lights changed to amber, she immediately slams on her breaks her car stops about 3 feet over the white line and I had no time to stop my car and hit her at low speed causing some damage to both cars. I asked her why did she stop so suddenly because the light went amber, she said. A few days later she messaged me, and I asked her again why she stopped so suddenly and was she not aware I was behind her? Her reply was that she stopped as her own discretion and did not want to get a fine for going through an amber light. The woman is from Africa and has not been driving in Australia for long I would guess.
I was not insured at the time and believe that this accident is not my fault, Amber means caution, stop only if it's safe to do so before the while line if not leave the intersection.
I gave all the evidence to her insurer who totally put the blame on me and I insisted it is not my fault.
Months went by and I finally got a quote from her insurer Four and a half months it took before this lady went to get a quote according to the date on the bottom of it.
This accident happened in Middle Swan in suburban Perth W.A.
The quotation that was emailed to me from CGU is from a company in New South Wales.
Not only that this was a minor incident with limited damage to her car and an estimated repair cost of $4663.09
This price is totally ridiculous and well over what it should be.
So my questions are,
Is there a timeline to get a quote for repairs? She might have had another accident in four or so months till she got the quote.
I question the legality of the quotation because of it's been done over 4000kms away.
And it's so over inflated I think it's a fraudulent document.
So can I be held liable for this? And can I get reimbursed the costs of fixing my car around $3600.
I have enclosed some files and the quote for her car also her admitting she does not fully understand the traffic laws in this county.
Thank you,
Colin

Attachments

• NRMA .png
    NRMA .png
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
  • RAV4 QUOTE.pdf
    974.9 KB · Views: 0
  • YELLOW LIGHT 2.png
    YELLOW LIGHT 2.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_0865.jpg