Stuck with compensation for accident as I don't have other person's details

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tomma

8 September 2016
Hi all,

A dog off leash on a shared bike path has caused me to come off my push bike. It resulted a mild concussion and lots of bruises (I didn't see a doctor), as well as about $600 financial damage (helmet, clothing, bike are all damaged). I was probably under a mild shock but decided not to call an ambulance. I called police, but they took quite a while to come and I was getting cold, so I called them off and decided I need to go home to look after my injuries. I asked the dog owner for the driver license, but all I got was first name, phone number and name of the dog.

Centennial Parklands is responsible for the shared path. Their website clearly states dogs have to be on leash on shared paths and I assume shared paths going through an off leash area are no exception. I have contacted the dog owner, but they simply claim its not their fault because it happened in an off leash area and I was going quick (I was riding at about 25km/h and had full control over my bike before the god came out of nowhere).

Centennial Parklands have documented the incident, but say its not their responsibility to investigate any further after the fact. Police were quick to advise that ist not a criminal incident and therefore cannot help.

I considered making a statement of claim via Legal Aid NSW | Home, however, it says I need full name and address.

Is this a case of bad luck and just walking away from it, or is there anything else I can do?