Removing guarantor from Supplier Credit Application

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stelle99

28 June 2024
Hi,

Seeking advice on the following:

In 2016, I signed to be a guarantor on my partner's supplier credit application. He is a sole trader and it has been quite some time since signing, and things have changed.
One being, we are no longer in a relationship and I have no ties with the business at all now. I do not want to be a guarantor on this contract. He owes this company money and has agreed to a payment plan but I want to safe guard myself if possible.
Is there any way I can remove myself from being a guarantor?
Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not much you can do if the supplier won't release you.

As part of the separation did you do a binding financial agreement? If not get one done and insist on an indemnity from your ex. We can likely assist you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hi,

Seeking advice on the following:

In 2016, I signed to be a guarantor on my partner's supplier credit application. He is a sole trader and it has been quite some time since signing, and things have changed.
One being, we are no longer in a relationship and I have no ties with the business at all now. I do not want to be a guarantor on this contract. He owes this company money and has agreed to a payment plan but I want to safe guard myself if possible.
Is there any way I can remove myself from being a guarantor?
Any advice would be very much appreciated!
I agree with Rod. You're in for a difficult time.
By way of background, have a read of this.