keeping a share of house left in an estate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

muriel.habils

30 May 2024
My deceased mother left both my brother and I an unequal share of her house. He has a 70% share and I have a 30% share.
If I decide to retain my 30% share of the property can he force me to sell?
Am I able to now charge him a 30% share of potential rent if he chooses to live in the house?
I understand I may be liable for a 30% share of rates and building insurance along with 30% share of the supply charges of utilities
Would I be entitled to have access to the house with given notice?

perjury

8 January 2019
a 70/30 share is not an "equal" share
I think you need to look at the relevant decisions of the Victorian (and other) courts found here
This will give you an idea of your prospects of success before you approach a lawyer
When did the executor seek the grant of probate? I'm not Victorian but it seems to me you have 12 months from that date to file a Defence.

perjury

8 January 2019
I suggest you read this recent decision in Victoria Ermanno Giurina v Sheriff for the State of Victoria [2024] VSCA 112 (29 May 2024)
I suspect you may have a right to demand the sale of the property, or that the executor otherwise compensates for the 30% value of the estate in other ways.

perjury

8 January 2019
In the first place, you need to put together a case brief that describes the issues involved
Include the order from the case which granted probate
Include the reasons for decision if you received them
Attach these files here
If you have difficulty with financial circumstances, the Court fees can be postponed or even waived.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
In what State?