VIC Intervention order as discrimination, how to revoke?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Casy119

2 October 2024
Hi, I would like some advice regarding an intervention order that a person I was working with professionally as a client filed against me. I have a disability that affects my behaviour and social interactions. This person and his company are well aware of this but they didn’t provide support to me and were instead dismissive and acted in a way that made things worse. Due to this some arguments have occurred and I had shouted at this person, and my psychologist has written a letter stating this is caused by my disability.

Now this person has filed an IVO with false claims. This person claimed I was stalking them because I needed more assistance than other clients and I was being extremely unusual, despite there was never any non-professional interactions. He also claimed the conflict was abuse. He even stated he has known me during a time I was overseas. However, I was told by a community lawyer that the IVO system is unfair and they will likely get the order regardless, and for practical reasons I have consented to it without admissions.

But now I reread the application I realise the complaint was clearly an exaggeration of the symptoms of my disability, and this is stated as the reason for their adverse treatment towards me. So it appears they have done this due to my disability and I have quite a few letters that would support this. I don’t think their actions can be tolerated and I want to know what is the best way to get this revoked. Can I file a discrimination complaint about their actions and the IVO they filed? Or must I go through the IVO process which I have been told is unfair?

Can someone give me advice on how I can serve this person the VCAT application now I can’t “contact” them due to the IVO? I can’t afford a lawyer and I’m not sure legal aid will assist me.

Thank you for any advice you may have.