NSW I sold a car to a 17 year old, over a year ago (March 2023) now they're demanding their money back because the car is a write off.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Murray Kurb

29 May 2024
Sydney
I sold a car to a 17 year old, over a year ago (March 2023) now they've just come back to me and said that the car I sold them is a write off and I got a fraudulent blue slip and the car hadn't passed a blue slip inspection. They're now claiming that I knew and sold them this car and promised it was roadworthy. I didn't make any promises, I told them exactly what I knew and they came in knowing the problems with the car, they checked the car and test drove it and bought the car off me same day (March 2023)

They've now sent me a letter of demand a couple nights ago (May 2024) demanding I pay for the damages that made the car a write off and claim that I sold them a faulty and unroadworthy car knowing it was unroadworthy. I’m not a mechanic, I was 18/19 at the time I sold the car. So I’m quite stuck at the moment. I would like to speak to a lawyer but honestly I’m not sure where to start. I’ve sent legal aid some emails and it’s just a waiting game. If anyone has gone through this situation , I would like to hear what you did and how things went down as obviously I do not want to go to court but I also don’t want to pay them $2000.

nexuscipher

4 July 2024
I realize that you are in a very stressful situation. It is fortunate that you are seeking legal advice. In the meantime, it will be important to write down all what you told the buyer during the sale of your car. The car might have been inspected by a certified mechanic from a 24 hour mechanic shop before then, this could be evidence to show that you were reasonable in as far as ensuring that the condition of the vehicle was right before purchase. Keep all correspondences and any proof showing that the buyer knew about the state of the motor vehicle. Legal Aid should be able to point you in the right direction but getting an attorney right away would be most appropriate.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I realize that you are in a very stressful situation. It is fortunate that you are seeking legal advice. In the meantime, it will be important to write down all what you told the buyer during the sale of your car. The car might have been inspected by a certified mechanic from a 24 hour mechanic shop before then, this could be evidence to show that you were reasonable in as far as ensuring that the condition of the vehicle was right before purchase. Keep all correspondences and any proof showing that the buyer knew about the state of the motor vehicle. Legal Aid should be able to point you in the right direction but getting an attorney right away would be most appropriate.
Ignore the spam of this post.