VIC How do senior law graduates overcome ageism in the modern legal practice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Harry De Elle

11 February 2017
Can senior (mature age 55+) law graduates comply with the Uniform Law after being admitted and be able to outsource their paralegal services to firms either pro bono or on an hourly rate?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes. But don't know why you'd do it pro-bono if you require an income.

But you can also work as a lawyer. Do I know you?

Harry De Elle

11 February 2017
Thanks for your response. I appreciate your insights. Yes you do know me.

As you know, it is important for me to obtain supervised training for 24 months, as this is a requirement by the VLSBC for graduate lawyers before obtaining an unrestricted practising certificate. My aim is to comply with this requirement while gaining valuable experience.

I plan to offer my services for free to any law firm under a registered business name, in exchange for supervision of my work. I was reaching out in this forum to establish if there is any merit in this approach would, or should I consider alternative strategies to meet the VLSBC's requirements?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You have to work as a lawyer ie do legal work in order to qualify as supervised training.

Apply for every junior position you can first and see what happens. Law firms would be reluctant to take on someone for free whether as an unpaid intern or through your own business. The employer will be an employer and liable for salary either way. You can however offer yourself at a minimum wage.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Thanks for your response. I appreciate your insights. Yes you do know me.

As you know, it is important for me to obtain supervised training for 24 months, as this is a requirement by the VLSBC for graduate lawyers before obtaining an unrestricted practising certificate. My aim is to comply with this requirement while gaining valuable experience.

I plan to offer my services for free to any law firm under a registered business name, in exchange for supervision of my work. I was reaching out in this forum to establish if there is any merit in this approach would, or should I consider alternative strategies to meet the VLSBC's requirements?
For one thing, doing para for free is not the same thing as supervised practise.
For another, why would a responsible practitioner let you freeride on their professional indemnity cover, while you freelance your own clients? Makes no sense.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Further, I suggest staying away from recruiters and HR people, and dealing directly with employers wherever that's possible.
When I was admitted, in my mid 40s, ageism was rife.
--> In recruiting, not so much in the profession itself.
So much so that I was told by more than one recruiter that they were
"not even going to put you up because you are too old."

I see kno sign that anything has changed.

Harry De Elle

11 February 2017
Thank you to all.