NSW Help DCJ involvement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Taurus19

10 October 2024
Me (mum, 26) and my partner (step dad, 24) have just had DCJ become involved with us and my nearly 8 year old son and they have never even blinked in our direction before. They initially came to the house telling us they had received 15 very serious anonymous reports and had to come in and look through the house and speak with us, we complied and listened to what they had to say. We had a friend living with us and were told they were an unsafe person to have living in the household and they had to leave so obviously we made them go as hard as it was. They told us they wanted us to do A urinalysis and we cooperated although I work quite a bit so I had to work around my schedule. By the end of that first visit they said they pretty much saw that all of the accusations were false in regards to my son and wrote a safety plan out with us. They came back for a risk assessment a few days later and said that we were in the low/moderate range due to not having the time to do the urinalysis as of yet. We got that done and it all came back negative so we thought that would be that but now they are constantly coming at me saying they need us to do more and even though I was really confused we agreed but life doesn't stop because they are involved so trying to get in between work, being sick and other appointments it's been a struggle but they thought my partner wasn't home and tried to force me into agreeing to do a hair follicle test even though I've agreed to do the urinalysis already and my partner as a child was in the DCJ system for 18 years and was assaulted multiple occasions in their care so he's already wary of them and how they can be if you get the wrong workers and told them they were crossing the line and harassing us at this point, that they weren't looking to resolve an issue that they were trying to find one and at this stage I agree with him. Their involvement is impacting my mental health to the point I can't eat or sleep anymore and I'm seriously thinking of quitting my job and it's affecting my son's as well because he doesn't want to be taken away from me and after they visit he's up and down all night making sure no one is there to take him and it's breaking my heart, I feel so lost and feel like no matter how much I cooperate that they are going to find something to say they have to stick around longer, what can I do? I can't live like this anymore