VIC Financial settlement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anon9191

3 April 2024
Last night my partner and I decided to separate.

She has children, and we have taken care of them. I do not have children.

We purchased property together and have a strong financial base, between $1M - $2M.

Her initial contribution was much larger than my own, but due to an income disparity, the total contribution made by each of us is similar.

I hope we can manage the financial separation without the need for lawyers and courts, but I am trying to get a feel for what a 'reasonable' split would look like and what range would likely be determined if we needed to go through the court. ie; 50/50, 60/40, 70/30, 80/20 etc.

I'm able to provide more information if required.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I hope we can manage the financial separation without the need for lawyers and courts, but I am trying to get a feel for what a 'reasonable' split would look like
Have a look at AMICA .... It's a Govt AI tool .... If you use accurate figures & answer all questions truthfully, it should give you a fairly good idea based on current asset division legislation.

If you then want to have a legally binding agreement on how your assets are to be divided, & I highly recommend you do so there are no surprises down the track, then AMICA will also assist you in filling out consent orders that can be submitted to court for review, which are then stamped & become legally binding.

Anon9191

3 April 2024
Hi Atticus,

Thank you so much for sharing that tool.

That has been very helpful in helping me shift my mindset.

Reactions: Atticus

Atticus

6 February 2019
Thanks for the feedback .... Glad it was able to help.
All the best