NSW Family law matter and discussing details

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lostinspace

25 November 2023
I believe I have a good grasp on this, but you cannot know what you do not know, anyways...

If I am to discuss or use parts of a matter I was involved with, that ended up settling by consent, of course it would be prudent to make sure no names are used or case number.

But is there anything preventing me discussing unproven accusations and behaviour of the other party, from either something in family law, but also defamation, online like in a forum like this where you are anonymous, but also discussing any aspects with friends and relatives. Of course people want to present things from a certain angle, my thinking is I can share documents now it is concluded with certain people have an inclination to read.

Also, where is the best place to advocate for some changes to the family law system ?

Atticus

6 February 2019
my thinking is I can share documents now it is concluded with certain people have an inclination to read.
It's still an offense to publish any part of a proceeding that can identify a party to it ... Publish includes the internet.
The new section (PART XIVB of the Family Law Act) that repealed section 121 gives some leeway to sharing with persons who may have a greater interest than the public , but you need to be very careful. If a party is identifiable and that person takes umbrage at being so identified by your actions then you're likley to find yourself in trouble anyway.