VIC Copyright infringement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Red Belly

1 November 2017
I have a question on COPYRIGHT of a term I believe I coined in early 2023, but today found somone has adopted it and is using it as their twitter name. Their twitter (X) account was opened in January 2024.

I call "plagiarism".

So can a lawyer here be so kind as to inform me of where I stand, regards asking the plagiarist to change their X (and other social media) pages' name/s away from my term, being
"Amygdalamania"?

I skipped thru the Australian Attorney-General's website pages on "copyright" (Copyright basics)
but being a 4th form Govt tech school drop-out (latterly an autodidact freelance investigative journalist) I find it difficult to comprehend most of it.

And, BTW, the person who I maintain plagiarized Amygdalamania from myself, "a psychology student" is asked
1, to learn your "how to's" in life, as in "do unto others", and
2, try resist the temptation to call on your law student friends to fake a reply here, to my question?
Yes, I know that Amygdalamania has most 1st worlders in it's grip, but try, to resist?

JaRD
@Justdfy on X.
Sth Gippsland.
23:10AEST, 240602.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
You can't copyright a word. Copyright applies to "literary works" and such a work must convey an idea, information, story, etc. Single words or phrases are not considered suffient to do this and are not protected.

If you "coin" a word then you might be able to protect it with a trademark, but not copyright.

Reactions: Red Belly

Red Belly

1 November 2017
You can't copyright a word. Copyright applies to "literary works" and such a work must convey an idea, information, story, etc. Single words or phrases are not considered suffient to do this and are not protected.

If you "coin" a word then you might be able to protect it with a trademark, but not copyright.
Hi & thanks Scruff.
I guess I'd best research "costs" etc of trademarking "#Amygdalamania", and whether I can indeed do that.
Or if it's worth it?
Besides, I'm not sure if I did "invent" Amygdalamania before someone else.
I s'pose my only concern'd be if the plagiarist, or another, trademarked it?
Hohumm....

Cheers.