NSW Child support not paid. Collect now?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mack

31 July 2017
Hello.

Im currently 28 years old and aware that my father didn't pay child support at all when i was under 18yo. Curious as to whether there's anyway i could get arrears for the child support not paid now?

Lennon

11 September 2014
You wouldn't be able to because child support isn't payable to the child. Your mother might be able to if she had applied for a child support assessment and applied for the child support agency to collect the payments.

Otherwise, I really don't think so.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
No. You wouldn't be the beneficiary, your mother would be, and if she didn't file for a child support assessment, she can't claim arrears.

Mack

31 July 2017
She did but has no interest pursuing the matter as CSA tried for many years. Is this something i could contest in his will?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
No. Again, you are not the beneficiary. Child support is paid from one parent to the other parent. It's not paid from one parent to their child. You literally have zero entitlement to your father's child support payments. As an analogy, it's like your neighbour trying to claim entitlement to your Austudy payments.