NSW Car park bingle

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ilexsp

10 September 2024
I was parked nose in at a venue. I started engine and rolled back about 15cm to a spot where i would be able to see if any cars were approaching from left in the one way lane. To my surprise there was a car at 90 degree angle in the lane and up my *** doing some complicated 10 point turn in the one way lane. Our cars touched ie his front bumper (to right) to my rear. He came out super agro I think embarrassed and inconvenienced as was with a female and meeting people for lunch.. There was a 2 cm thin line surface scratch on his bumper bar. Not deep. No dings. I apologised for my part and said doesn’t look like much but he was agro and intimidating. I said I’d pay within reason as it’s a tiny scratch on duco. He says I ran into him and it’s true I was moving but he was also moving toward me at this wierd unexpected angle. He must have gone past the free park to my left then done a wierd multi point turn to go back in the one way lane to get to it. He was literally right up my rear end at 90 degrees across the lane. At the tiny slow movement I made alone there would not be even a scratch. I took photos gave him my number and said id be happy to pay within reason for the tiny scratch which he was irate about.
So he calls me and tells me it will cost $500 and pay now. I said please send me quote and that seems a bit much for the tiny scratch on duco. He says no the bumper bar has a ding. I said it must have been invisible because at the time we looked and agreed there was no ding only a tiny thin 2 cm scratch. He is angry. I said get a second quote. He says he got lots already and this is cheapest, so I said great for sake of transperancy send them through. He is forcing rush and demanding immediate payment. I’m happy to contribute but I don’t think it was my fault alone and also think he is taking the piss at $500. I’m a single mum and that is a lot for me.. I only have green slip insurance. He has insurance. I’m not sure how to move ahead with this?