NSW Can you request information from police about their investigation of a laptop I provided to them?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

26 July 2024
sydney
after speaking to 2 detectives about uploading illicit images to a site they did not diclose, I offered them to take my laptoip and inspect it. I have read that in cases of child assault material, there is no discovery, but a provision of a random sample of anything they find. I have not been arrested or charged. Can I contact them and stipulate what parameters of file identification tags they need to provide me with if they find any images, because I need to prove that I was not home when any images were deposited onto my computer?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You until you are arrested then you seek the information you want.

If charged you will need a criminal lawyer.

Magallenes

19 June 2024
You've allowed them to seize it by consent.
If any child abuse material is located you will be arrested interviewed then either charged and bailed/remanded or released pending summons or further enquiries.
The computer would then be kept as evidence until the court hearing and likely be submitted for forfeiture as tainted property used in the commission of a criminal offence.

Can you contact them and stipulate what parameters of file identification tags they need to provide you with if they find any images?
If they do find something, they cant provide you with any of these images because they would be distributing child abuse material themselves. So its a no to that question.
The brief of evidence will have a categorisation of the types images located, because child abuse material can also be conveyed via words.
There are exemptions to produce the material in a court setting if the charges are contested.

It can be a lengthy process to have devices analysed by the police (1 year +)
You'll just have to wait.