VIC Can police break road rules when not on duty or on lunch breaks? Are they not criminally liable?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

thomas3040

13 August 2024
I have had negative experiences with police previously and cannot stand the way some, not all, abuse their power and always act like they're above everyone else and the law. My only desire for obtaining my law degree is to go up against them and bring justice to those falling victim to their abuse and power trips.

I was studying inside Wallan public library when noticed police trying to mount the curb and park their vehicle, thinking there was an emergency and they needed to enter the mall asap. I followed them into woolworths then assuming there were shoplifters being apprehended (I work at woolies and not all shoplifters get police called on them) and when I followed them around the store, nope, just them purchasing their lunches in their uniforms and fear mongering anyone that gets in their way.

They took about 20 minutes and then left when I took some photos.

This is clearly very unprofessional and there is no way it is legal. I'd like to report it. What are your opinions on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240815_044753_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240815_044753_Video Player.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240815_044723_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240815_044723_Video Player.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240815_044701_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240815_044701_Video Player.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 1

MDaB

10 November 2022
Yes, police have exemptions to some Road Rules. For example they can use a mobile phone, while driving.

Correct, this may seem unprofessional but maybe see how in some circumstances it may even be beneficial for police to have these exemptions. You will see paramedics park illegally all the time, but if those paramedics get a call, they want to get to their vehicle as soon as possible. It is no different for police.

Magallenes

19 June 2024
Perfectly legal on duty in a police car. If an urgent call comes in they need to quickly get to their car.
Off duty in a personal vehicle? That might be hard to justify, but it could be justified too if they were acting in a police capacity.

There is nothing in any police legislation about police powers only being active whilst on duty. Police are police 24/7.

Good luck with your legal career.

chichi11

3 May 2024
No.
Report the officers.
No one is above the law.

"A NSW Police superintendent has been charged with three counts of assault after intervening in an arrest while off-duty in Sydney's Inner West.
Police called to Stanmore on September 21 and three men were arrested and charged with assault and trespass offences.

During a review of evidence relating to their arrests, concerns were raised to the Professional Standards Command about the actions of a 55-year-old off-duty police officer.

The off-duty superintendent allegedly became involved in the arrest, Acting Assistant Commissioner David Driver of the Professional Standards Command said.

"[Police] reviewed that material, including the CCTV, as a result of the review of the evidence a 55-year-old superintendent has been charged with three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm," Driver said.

The officer was attached to the Central Metropolitan Region.
The alleged victims sustained cuts and bruises, as well as a shoulder injury.

Off-duty NSW Police superintendent charged with three counts of assault

The replies here just enable piss poor behaviour from the police.

Magallenes

19 June 2024
ChiChi - what you have just posted has nothing to do with the original topic.
This is essentially on off duty cop, coming in and throwing haymakers, once someone was already in custody.
Blatantly excessive use of force and a criminal assault and he should be dealt with appropriately by the courts.

This topic is driving/traffic related

chichi11

3 May 2024
The topic that I took was are the police above the law.

Regardless of what type of law. I posted the article to show that in fact they are not.