VIC Broke item in store and was detained and yelled at by security guard. What are my rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

thomas3040

13 August 2024
I was walking out of the southern cross metro woolies after paying for my groceries and accidentally knocked a vase/flower on display which smashed on the ground. The security guard began yelling and ran after me as I exited saying 'get back here, you must pay for that now'. This was incredibly embarrassing and I did not mean to at all.
I was startled after some young guys were running around inside swearing earlier and then another worker came in to start his shift and was talking very loudly to the 2 girls on checkout which looked quite uncomfortable and just wanted to do their jobs and not talk. These events were distracting me quite a lot which also contributed to my bag brushing against the vase and breaking it (other than the fact this store has a large walkway from paying your groceries at the checkouts to walking out, having to walk through the store).
I was frightened, thinking the security guard had a weapon or would restraint me so I kept a distance and he said, at least come back and say sorry. I didn't return but did say sorry then ran off to call the police to make a complaint.

Also, I work at a different woolies store and have never been aware of this policy 'you break it, you pay for it'.

I do not know what to do now after this frightening encounter and reporting it to police.

Harry De Elle

11 February 2017
The material facts and the key issue in dispute in this case can be summarised as follows:

Material Facts:​

1. Accidental Damage: The shopper (you) accidentally knocked over a vase or flower display at a Woolworths store, causing it to break. The breakage was unintentional, and there were environmental factors, such as distractions inside the store, that contributed to the accident (e.g., other customers behaving inappropriately, loud conversations, and the layout of the store).
  2. Security Guard's Reaction: After the vase was broken, a security guard at the store chased after you, yelling and demanding that you pay for the damage. The guard’s reaction was aggressive, causing you to feel intimidated and frightened.
  3. Walk Away: Instead of engaging with the security guard, you walked away, feeling threatened. Despite the guard asking you to come back and apologize, you chose to leave the store. You did apologise verbally before leaving but did not stop or return.
  4. Filing a Police Report: After leaving, you called the police to report the incident, believing that the security guard’s behaviour was excessive and intimidating. You also did not think you should be held responsible for paying for the vase, as you felt the breakage was an accident.
  5. Employment Factor: You work at a different Woolworths store and were aware of general store policies, though you were visiting this particular store as a customer, not in an official work capacity.

Issue in Dispute:​

The main issue in dispute is whether you, as the customer who accidentally broke the vase, are responsible for paying for the damaged item and whether the security guard’s reaction was appropriate and reasonable under the circumstances. Specifically:
  • Your Liability for the Vase: Should you be required to pay for the vase, given that the breakage was accidental and contributed to by distractions in the store?
  • Appropriateness of the Security Guard's Behaviour: Did the security guard act reasonably by chasing you, yelling, and demanding immediate payment for the damage, or was their response excessive and intimidating?
The case revolves around determining whether you, as a customer (and employee of another Woolworths store), should be held accountable for accidental damage and whether the security guard’s actions were justified or an overreaction to a minor accident.

In this case, both parties would need to prove different elements to support their positions. Here's a breakdown of what each side would likely need to establish:

What the Store/Security Guard Needs to Prove:​

1. Responsibility for the Damage:
    • The store would need to prove that you, as the shopper, were responsible for the damage to the vase. They would need to demonstrate that your actions directly caused the vase to break, whether through negligence or otherwise.
    • They might argue that you didn’t take sufficient care while moving through the store or that you were reckless in some way.
  2. Store Policy on Payment for Accidental Damage:
    • The store would need to prove that there is a policy or standard practice that requires customers to pay for items they accidentally damage.
    • If this is a key part of their argument, they would need to show that such policies were either displayed clearly (e.g., signage) or that it’s a common retail practice known to customers.
  3. Reasonableness of the Security Guard’s Actions:
    • The store would also need to prove that the security guard’s response was appropriate and reasonable under the circumstances. They would need to justify why the guard chased after you, yelled, and demanded immediate payment.
    • The store might argue that the security guard’s actions were necessary to stop you from leaving without addressing the damage or that they were following store procedures in addressing incidents involving damaged property.
  4. Intent to Evade Responsibility:
    • The store might claim that by walking away, you were trying to avoid responsibility for the damage. They would need to show that the security guard acted appropriately to stop someone they believed was leaving to evade accountability for the broken item.

What You (the Shopper) Need to Prove:​

1. Accident and Lack of Negligence:
    • You would need to prove that the breakage was accidental and that you were not acting negligently. You should demonstrate that there was no recklessness or intentional action involved in knocking over the vase.
    • You could argue that the store's setup, the distractions (e.g., unruly customers and loud conversations), and the crowded environment contributed to the accident.
  2. No Obligation to Pay for Accidental Damage:
    • You would need to prove that you are not required to pay for accidental damage, especially since there was no intent or negligence involved. If there is no clear policy in place or if the store did not inform customers about such a policy, this strengthens your argument.
    • You can point out that in many retail environments, customers are not required to pay for accidental breakage unless there is clear negligence.
  3. Intimidation by the Security Guard:
    • You would need to prove that the security guard’s behaviour was excessive and unreasonable, which caused you to feel threatened. This could include describing the guard’s yelling, chasing, and demand for immediate payment, and how this led to fear or intimidation.
    • You can explain that you walked away because you felt unsafe or intimidated, not because you were trying to avoid responsibility.
  4. Your Immediate Apology and No Intent to Evade:
    • You could argue that you verbally apologised before leaving and that you did not have any intent to evade responsibility. The fact that you called the police to report the incident afterward could support your argument that you didn’t intend to run away or escape the situation but were simply frightened by the security guard's reaction.

What Both Parties Would Need to Prove:​

1. Reasonableness of Behaviour:
    • Both parties would need to show that their respective actions were reasonable under the circumstances. The store will need to show that the security guard acted reasonably in chasing after you and demanding payment, while you will need to show that walking away and later filing a police report was a reasonable response to feeling threatened.

Conclusion:​

The store would need to prove that you were responsible for the damage and that their security guard's response was appropriate. On the other hand, you would need to prove that the breakage was accidental, that there was no obligation to pay, and that the security guard’s actions were intimidating, which justified your decision to walk away. Both sides must demonstrate the reasonableness of their actions during the incident.

Now what should you do?

1. Follow Up with the Police:​

• Since you’ve already reported the incident to the police, make sure to follow up with them to provide any additional details. Be clear about the behavior of the security guard, how you felt threatened, and how the situation unfolded.
  • The police may provide advice on how to proceed and whether they will take any further action regarding your complaint.

2. Contact Woolworths Management:​

• Reach out to the management of the Woolworths store where the incident occurred. This will allow you to explain the situation calmly from your perspective.
    • Describe how the breakage was accidental, emphasising that environmental factors (e.g., distractions in the store) contributed to the incident.
    • Mention how the security guard’s behaviour made you feel intimidated and explain why you walked away. Make it clear that you apologised before leaving and that your actions were driven by fear, not an attempt to evade responsibility.
  • Politely ask the store manager whether there is a formal policy on customers paying for accidental breakages and explain that you were unaware of such a policy.

3. Clarify Woolworths’ Policies:​

• Since you’re an employee at a different Woolworths store, check with your store’s management or HR department to clarify any relevant policies regarding accidental damage and how they’re typically handled.
  • Understanding these policies can help you in your discussion with the store management and in knowing your rights and obligations as both a customer and an employee.