VIC Late Director ID

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
15 April 2024
Hi, if I was late in applying for a Director ID after being appointed as a director, what happens now? Do I need a lawyer to represent me while I tell ASIC about this? It was unintentional, and I was less than 7 days late. What would be the best way about this? Will I have a criminal record now? :(

10 May 2024
If you were late in applying for a Director ID after being appointed as a director, it's important to rectify the situation as soon as possible. Being less than 7 days late might not have significant consequences, but it's crucial to address it promptly.
You typically don't need a lawyer to represent you while informing ASIC about this issue, especially if it was unintentional and you're taking corrective action promptly. Here's what you can do:
  1. Apply for Director ID immediately: Visit the ASIC website and complete the Director Identification Number (Director ID) application process. Since you're within the 28-day grace period, you should be able to apply without significant penalties.
  2. Contact ASIC: You can contact ASIC directly to inform them about the situation. Explain that you were appointed as a director and unintentionally missed the deadline for applying for the Director ID, but you're taking immediate steps to rectify it.
  3. Provide necessary information: ASIC might ask for additional information regarding your appointment and the reason for the delay. Be honest and transparent in your communication with ASIC.
  4. No criminal record: Generally, missing the deadline for Director ID application doesn't result in a criminal record, especially if it was unintentional and promptly addressed. However, it's essential to comply with ASIC requirements to avoid any potential penalties or legal issues.
  5. Seek professional advice if needed: If you're unsure about the process or need clarification on your specific situation, you can consult with a legal advisor or accountant familiar with corporate governance and ASIC requirements. They can provide personalized guidance based on your circumstances.
Remember, transparency and prompt action are key in situations like this. By acknowledging the oversight and taking corrective measures swiftly, you demonstrate your commitment to compliance and accountability as a director.
Sure, here's the link to your website: Mitchell Electric