NSW Changing a Death Certificate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hamo

30 January 2024
Hi, early 2023 my uncle in the UK passed away, probate occured early this year, but his will was dated back to 1991. My uncle assigned a portion of his estate to my father, who unfortunately passed away in 2013. The will stated that in my fathers passing that my fathers children would be assigned the estate (portioned equally).

My father only had two children, my sister and myself. But over his life he remarried several times and at the time of his death he had three step children - these children were never legally adopted by him, nor where they biologically related to him.

When my father passed my wife and I paid for the funeral, and attended 1 meeting with the funeral directors. On my fathers death his wife and step children estranged from us, we never received any correspondence from them. The Probate for my uncles will requested proof of my fathers death, I applied online and received his death certificate - I had not seen it before. On the Death certificate it lists myself as the Informant, but it also lists he last wifes three children also as his children (so 5 of us are listed). Again - the step children have no biological link not were the legally adopted by him.

I have tried to have Births Deaths and Marriages correct the document, I have sent them the contact details of the step children and ex wife, but they are saying I have to send them verification by Birth Certificate for each of the step children - which I can not do, I am estranged. I will also add that through a search they would see that the first child was born in Australia, when we were living in the UK, and the next two were born in the USA when we were living in Australia. They just keep bouncing back "send us their Birth Certificates"

Anybody got any ideas? This has been going on for 3 months now and there has to be a way to get the document corrected